Boundary Transfer Information


There are two types of student transfer choices:

Boundary (Choice) Transfers OUT of Hockinson School District

Application forms are available May 1st (or the first school day of May) for students residing in the Hockinson School District who wish to transfer out of the Hockinson School District. These forms may be picked up and submitted at the district office located at 17912 NE 159th Street, Brush Prairie, WA 98606. 

Boundary (Choice) Transfers INTO Hockinson School District
Application forms for students residing outside the Hockinson School District who wish to transfer into the Hockinson School District are available May 1st (or the first school day of May). These forms must be picked up from the school district in which the student resides. The resident school district will then forward the completed forms to the Hockinson School District Superintendent’s Office for review. Non-resident students currently attending Hockinson School District must re-apply annually to be considered for placement in Hockinson Schools for the next school year. If you plan to apply for a boundary (choice) transfer to enroll your student(s) in the District for the next school year, we encourage you to make alternate arrangements should the district be unable to accommodate the boundary (choice) transfer. 


A student who resides within the boundaries of the district shall be released to attend another school in another district by completing a Choice Transfer Request, provided the other district agrees to accept the student if: 

  1. A financial, educational, safety or health condition affecting the student would likely be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer;
  2. Attendance at the school in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent's place of work or to the location of child care; or
  3. There is a special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student's immediate family that would be alleviated as a result of the transfer;
  4. The purpose of the transfer is for enrollment in an online course or school program offered by an OSPI-approved provider;
  5. Parent/Guardian is an employee with the requested school district.


Any student who resides outside the district but within the state of Washington may apply to attend a school in the district. A parent or guardian shall apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by completing an Application for Student Transfer to Nonresident District. All applications will be considered on an equal basis. 


A student currently residing outside the district whose parent(s) or guardian(s) purchased a home under construction in Hockinson School District may provide a letter from the builder confirming the projected occupancy date. A student who will reside in a new home in the school district on or before December 15, will be considered a resident for the first semester of the academic year. 


The superintendent will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:

  1. Whether acceptance of a nonresident student would result in the district experiencing significant financial hardship ("financial hardship" does not include routine programmatic costs associated with serving additional disabled or non-disabled students);
  2. Whether in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled has the capacity for additional students;
  3. Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student’s condition as stated in requesting release from his or her district of residence;
  4. Whether the applicant has siblings enrolled in the district;
  5. Whether the student’s disciplinary records or other documentation indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes);
  6. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission and reengagement of suspended or expelled students; and;
  7. Whether enrollment of a nonresident student would conflict with a district innovation academy cooperative under RCW 28A.340.080.

Children of full-time employees

  1. Pursuant to RCW 28A.225.225, a nonresident student who is the child of a full-time certificated or classified employee will be permitted to enroll:
    1. At the school to which the employee is assigned;
    2. At a school forming the district’s kindergarten through twelfth grade continuum which includes the school to which the employee is assigned; or
    3. At a school in the district that provides early intervention services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.065 and/or preschool services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.070, if the student is eligible for such services.        

  2. The district may reject the application of a student who is the child of a full-time employee if:
    1. Disciplinary records or other evidence supports a conclusion that the student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership; or
    2. The student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days (however, the district’s policies for allowing readmission of expelled or suspended students and the required reengagement procedures under this rule must apply uniformly to both resident and nonresident applicants seeking admission, pursuant to RCW 28A.225.225(2)(b)); or
    3. Enrollment of the nonresident child would displace a child who is a resident of the district.

  3. If a nonresident student is the child of a full-time employee and has been enrolled under Section 1 above, the student must be permitted to remain enrolled at the same school or in the district’s kindergarten through twelfth grade continuum until:
    1. The student completes their schooling; or
    2. The student has repeatedly failed to comply with requirements for participation in an online school program, such as participating in weekly direct contact with the teacher or monthly progress evaluations.

  4. If a nonresident student is accepted the student or the student's parent(s) or guardian is responsible for providing transportation for the student.


    The superintendent, in a timely manner, will provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of a nonresident student’s enrollment application. If the student is to be admitted, the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee will notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

    If the application is denied, the superintendent will notify the parent or guardian of the reason(s) for denial and the right to petition the board of directors, upon five school business day’s prior notice, for review of the decision and to have a hearing before the board at its next regular meeting. Following the hearing by the board, a final decision will be promptly communicated to the parent in writing. 

    The final decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the Superintendent of Public Instruction or his or her designee pursuant to the process detailed in RCW 28A.224.230(3).

    Appeal Notice - Denial or release of admission: WAC 392-137-190. Requests for appeal shall be addressed to the superintendent of the denying school district, if applicable, or the superintendent of public instruction (OSPI, 360-725-6000). All requests for appeal should contain the following: 
    1. The name, age, grade level, and residence, if any of the student.
    2. The name, mailing address, if any, and the legal relationship of the person, if any, filing the notice of appeal on behalf of the student.
    3. In the case of denial of release, documentation indicating the conditions of WAC 392-137-155 have been met and a copy of all documents or other written evidence submitted to the resident district which indicates the grounds for the requested release.
    4. In the case of denial of admission, documentation that the nonresident district has failed to comply with the standards and procedures specified in WAC 392-137-205.

    NOTE: Contact the superintendent or designee of the district denying the request for specific appeal procedures.

Boundary Transfer Links